The process of installing Xoom is simple. It constitutes of running an installer supplied by Zany Ants and answering a handful of questions in order to allow Xoom to connect to the local installation of Service Optimization. The installer does the rest by checking the prerequisites, installing Xoom and, if necessary, registering custom components that are needed on Service Optimization side for Xoom to fully function.
The pre-requisites for installing Xoom (all of which will be verified by the installer) are:
- Windows Imaging Component, which is required by Windows Installer and will already be installed on most systems.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, the installation of which will automatically be started by the Xoom installer if it’s not present on the system.
There are two types of Xoom installation: client and server.
Xoom server has to be installed on each machine running Service Optimization instance that is going to be managed by Xoom. If several servers are connected to the same database and Xoom is only used to manage Service Optimization configuration, then Xoom server needs to be installed on only one of those servers. However, if Xoom is also used to monitor installation files and other locally stored configuration information, then Xoom server needs to be installed on every Service Optimization server, regardless of the environment to which the server is connected.
In addition to the common prerequisites, Xoom server also requires a configured and running installation of Service Optimization to be present on the same machine.
Server installation will perform the following actions:
- Collect the information required to connect to the local Service Optimization installation, and verify that information. The information supplied during the installation can be changed later on.
- Copy and register the required Xoom files.
- Register the custom SXP message processors required by Xoom with Service Optimization.
- If this is a custom installer for a specific customer, copy custom configuration files and also perform any further configuration changes required for Xoom to fully support custom configurations on that environment.
It is strongly recommended that all server installations include client as well in order to ensure that client tools are available locally on such machines.
Xoom client can be installed on any workstation that satisfies prerequisites listed above, and includes client tools that can be used to remotely connect to all accessible Xoom servers and perform various Xoom operations. The client tools included in the client installation are:
- Settings Migration Tool, intended for interactive exploration, export, import and comparison of Service Optimization configurations.
- Xoom Console, intended for non-interactive export and import of configurations for less advanced users of Xoom, mostly in support and deployment scenarios.
- Xoom Explorer, intended for advanced users for configuration exploration and reporting.
- XoomToolkit, a command line tool intended for automation of Xoom tasks, such as configuration versioning.
The following gallery contains screenshots of the entire installation process step by step, with appropriate explanations.